Get Out Alive
Arica Jackson, Tamika Lawrence, Darius Lee, Nora Schell and Terran Scott
Number of Acts: 1
Number of Principals (Male): 1
Number of Principals (Female): 3
Total Cast Size: 4
All songs have performance-ready tracks that can be used in lieu of a full band.
Genre & Style:
An Autobiographical Afrogoth musical
Nikki Lynette’s new autobiographical afrogoth musical raises mental health awareness through the lens of an underground concert. With music that is equal parts punk, hip hop, alternative rock, and pop, Nikki’s true story shows that when life leads us to a bad place, we can always make it out alive.
Starting as an opening act for Pussy Riot’s first American tour, the show was developed into a full-length musical at the American Music Theatre Project (AMTP) at Northwestern University. Appearing in Steppenwolf Theatre Company’s LookOut Series in early 2020, this groundbreaking show sold out all five shows within days of the press announcement. When the pandemic hit, it was adapted into an independent film that has been featured in a dozen film festivals around the world, winning three awards. GOA received its first extended run in July/August 2022 produced by Haven Chicago at The Den Theatre.
5 Things You Should Know
- Nikki Lynette wrote Get Out Alive during her suicide recovery.
- This musical about depression made Nikki Lynette the first Black woman to ever be produced by American Music Theatre Project.
- The film adaptation of Get Out Alive has been invited into 11 independent film festivals, nominated for 5 film awards, and has won 3 of them.
- Nikki Lynette is still interested in performing the piece herself, and the next iteration of the work will be performed with her as the lead.
- Nikki Lynette’s goal is to take Get Out Alive on tour as an immersive experience that merges art with mental health advocacy.