“I believe NAMT is the nation’s central intersection for organizations committed to the future of the American Musical Theatre. As an organization not based in NYC, NAMT provides an opportunity to intersect with our national colleagues in a profound way.”
Artistic Director, Theater Latté Da
The National Alliance for Musical Theatre, founded in 1985, is a national service organization dedicated exclusively to musical theatre. Our mission is to advance musical theatre by nurturing the creation, development, production and presentation of new and classic musicals; providing a forum for the sharing of resources and information relating to professional musical theatre through communications, networking and programming; and advocating for the imagination, diversity and joy unique to musical theatre.
“The power of this network is unbelievable. I sent out an email to the leaders of the NAMT membership with a question about setting up an endowment, and I heard from 11 of the top not-for-profit musical theatre organizations from around the country in two days.”
President and CEO, The Muny
Our 160 organizational and 40 individual members — including institutional theatres, developmental companies, higher education programs, presenting organizations and individual producers — are some of the leading producers of musical theatre in the world. These organizations’ leaders believe in the value NAMT adds to their theatres through new work development and funding, conferences, relationships, and the sharing of ideas, regardless of whether they produce only musicals, a mix of musicals and straight plays, new works, classics, or all of the above.
We foster relationships among our members, which have led to exciting partnerships and co-productions, as well as other opportunities to network and brainstorm, facilitate innovation in the field and bring our members together from all over North America to collaborate. As a NAMT member, you would find yourself in the company of like-minded, energetic producers from across the country, all working to advance the field.
NAMT’s members make a vital impact in their communities — economically, in education, and by entertaining millions of people.
Last season, the NAMT members collectively…
- Employed over 32,000 people
- Staged more than 17,000 performances attended by nearly 8.5 million people
- Entertained over 500,000 subscribers
- Provided education programs for over 1.4 million students and teachers
- Had operating budgets totaling over $600,000,000
- Performed in 285 facilities with a total of more than 168,000 seats
as of 9/10/17
NAMT by the Numbers Survey (PDF)
“My experience at NAMT made me aware how inviting an organization can be. Thank you.”
NAMT Members receive the following exclusive benefits throughout the year.See the Benefits Available to Different Member Types
VIP Access to the Festival of New Musicals
Since 1989, the Festival of New Musicals has introduced more than 300 shows and 500 writers to industry insiders with the resources to move the work forward, leading to subsequent productions, development, recordings, licensing or commissions for more than 85% of our musicals and alumni. NAMT members receive Premiere or Select Passes, providing them with priority seating at the Festival and access to VIP networking events, as well as additional opportunities to meet the writers, be first in line to express interest in a show, connect with other NAMT members to discuss collaboration opportunities, and follow the shows as they develop after the Festival.
NAMT’s two annual conferences provide valuable networking and learning opportunities, with panels and workshops featuring some of the top executives and creative professionals in the industry. With a focus on sharing successes, adaptability and lively discussion, our conferences are intimate and energetic forums where members get concrete ideas they can take back to their theatres and implement quickly. Ample time to talk in small groups and socialize leads to career-long relationships and a network of colleagues you can call on at any time. Conferences are open only to members and invited guests, and members receive the lowest possible rates to attend.
The National Fund for New Musicals supports collaborations between member theatres and musical theatre writers via grants to NAMT’s US-based not-for-profit members to support writer residencies, workshops and full productions of new musicals.
The Innovation & Exploration Grant helps member theatres pilot new ideas in various administrative and production areas to advance their missions.
Our Roundtables give NAMT members an opportunity to network, explore best practices and share case studies in more intimate, informal settings than the Conferences, usually focusing on topics of narrower interest. New Works Roundtables are typically held in conjunction with festivals or productions of new musicals at member theatres, and Writers’ Roundtables, held annually in New York, bring Festival alumni writers and member producers together to build connections and explore models of collaboration. Roundtables are also held on a variety of management and community engagement topics, hosted by member theatres around the country.
Theatre Experience and Collaboration Hub (The TECH)
An online resource center offering opportunities for members to connect with and learn from their peers without leaving their desks, The TECH currently contains
- the brand-new Nuts and Bolts Guide to Producing New Musicals
- free webinars by NAMT members and other experts in the field
- forums allowing members to continue conversations from our Conferences, Roundtables and other events, ask advice from colleagues, and network year round
More content is coming soon!
- Monthly News & Notes with the latest member and alumni news
- Monthly New Works News featuring Festival show updates, new works in development around the country and more
Concrete information that can save you money!
- The Salary & Benefits Survey shows what other theatres across the country are paying for key positions, helping you budget and negotiate.
- The Success Survey tracks how specific musicals have performed for members around the country, to help with programming and marketing decisions, and negotiations with licensors.
- NAMT by the Numbers provides a valuable overview of the membership and the industry.
Members-Only Website Content
- Complete directory of member organizations showing key organizational information, staff lists, facilities and more
- Member organizations’ current and upcoming production information
- Searchable New Musicals Directory, listing every show presented in our Festival with summaries, cast breakdowns, author contacts and more
- Complete Festival Alumni directory to help you find your next collaborators
- Festival jukeboxes and videos
- Recordings of past conference panels and webinars
- Members-only forums
Set and Costume Registry
Earn revenues by listing sets, costumes and props for sale or rent on the Set and Costume Registry, one of the most highly-trafficked parts of our website. Only NAMT members may list on the registry, but it can be viewed by all website visitors, including hundreds who come directly to the Registry page searching for rental items.
Member Job Listings
Discounts and Partnerships
Deals on car rental, NYC hotels, rehearsal studios, cast recordings, technology and fundraising tools and more.
Promote Your Projects to Industry Leaders
Access to NAMT’s member mailing list
List your shows and events in News & Notes and New Works News
Special member rates on ads in the Festival program, reaching 700 theatre professionals
Draw From Our Knowledge Base
NAMT’s staff is available to assist you in finding new work, connecting with fellow members and with writers.
Your voice is represented on a national scale in Washington, DC via NAMT’s membership in
Networking is a common thread through many of our member benefits. NAMT events provide unique opportunities to make connections with other producers, writers, licensors and others. Our tight-knit association of members keeps in touch year-round.
See the Benefits Available to Different Member Types
Learn About The Different Types of Membership and Dues