Together in the Trenches: Advocating and Collaborating from 1st Meeting to Closing Night
March 16, 2013, 2:00 - 6:00 pm
CAP21, 18 W. 18th Street, New York
On Saturday, March 16th, 2013, NAMT hosted Festival alumni and NAMT members in a roundtable about how writers can be their own best advocate at and collaborative partner with a theatre when heading into a workshop or production. There was a dynamic, open dialogue between writers and producers on how to most effectively help each other put on the best show possible. The Goal: minimum stress and maximum results.
The Roundtable was only open to writers who have been part of the Festival of New Musicals and NAMT members
Check-in and Introductions
- What is the writer’s role in the casting process and in the audition room?
- How can writers work with the director and the designers to ensure that they are part of the process?
- How much input should (or should not) a writer have in the staffing, casting and design of their show?
- What do you do when the director’s vision is not in sync with the writer’s vision?
- How can theatres best help writers through the pre-production process?
Moderated by Randy Adams (Junkyard Dog Productions) and Lisa Dozier (General Manager Off Broadway and for the NAMT Festival)
- What do theatres expect from writers during the rehearsal process?
- What do writers need from theatres in order to do their best work while in rehearsals?
- How much rewriting is too much and when do you stop?
Moderated by Donna Lynn Hilton (Goodspeed Musicals) and Gordon Greenberg (Band Geeks!)
- The show is up and frozen, now what?
- How can writers best engage the theatre’s donors, board and community while at the theatre?
- How much is too much to ask out of the writers in regards to special events?
- What dialogue should the writer and the theatre have before they ask for any feedback from the audience?
Moderated by Kent Nicholson (Playwrights Horizons) and Doug Cohen (3-time NAMT alumnus)
||Wine and Cheese Reception
Organizations and shows represented at the Roundtable:
(italics=shows, *=NAMT Members)
11th Hour Theatre Co.*
The Depot Theatre*
Greg Schaffert Productions
It Shoulda Been You
Junkyard Dog Productions*
The Last Musical Comedy
The Mercer Foundation
The Mystery of the Dancing Princess
New York Theatre Barn*
Playing Pretend Productions*
Rhinebeck Writers Retreat
See Rock City & Other Destinations
Sharon Fallon Productions*
The University of the Arts*
This page was last updated on 06/21/2016