The Writers Residency Grants provide $500-$2,000 supplemental funds to not-for-profit NAMT members to work with writers on developing a new musical. The musical can be at any stage of development and the project can happen either at the member theatre or off-site as long as the writers and the theatre are both actively involved in the develoment process. All grants are for $500-$2,000. The Writers Residency Grants are part of the National Fund for New Musicals, whose goals can be found here.
The grants are a great way to bring a writer to your theatre to work or to meet with the writers at another venue to develop a new musical. The money can be used to either fill a gap in funding or to expand the current residency plans. There does not need to be a long-term commitment to the project, just a passion for helping the writers develop their show. All projects are expected to have a culminating activity (admission free, if applicable), which can be anything from a new draft of the script to a full production.
- only not-for-profit NAMT member theatre organizations in the U.S. may apply for the grant
- the member must be in good standing
- a member can only receive one Writer Residency Grant per NAMT fiscal year (May-April)
- a member who has received a Production Grant from the National Fund of New Musicals during the current granting cycle is a not able to apply until the following cycle
- the project can be at any stage of development but preference will be given to those projects in the earliest stages of collaboration
- the writers may be in residence at the theatre or off-site (e.g. in New York City working with a rep from the member theatre)
- the writers need to be actively working on the musical and that work should be reflected in the reading, workshop or production
- the writers must be paid a stipend, honorarium, royalty and/or per diem, on top of necessary housing and travel
- there must be a culminating activity be it a table read-through, a demo, a staged reading, new draft, workshop, and/or production
- the culminating project cannot charge an admission fee or accept a suggested donation at the door
- preference will be given to pieces with original music but pieces utlizing pre-existing music will be considered
- the project budget must match the grant 1-to-1
There are 2 granting periods throughout the fiscal year. Applications can request funds for development that starts or ends outside of the assigned project periods but the bulk of the work and all expenses should still lie within the 7-month project period.
Application Due: May 1, 2014
Project Period: June 1, 2014-January 31, 2015
Application Due: December 1, 2014
Project Period: January 1, 2015-June 30, 2015
The application will be available 1 month prior to each Application Due Date. Have the following information availalbe when filling out the Application:
- Organization Info
- Show Title and Description
- Project Description, Timeline & Goals
- Writer Statement
- Key Artist Bios
- Project Budget
No works samples or CD will be needed. The application is a short form that applicants will fill out online.
NAMT's New Works Committee will jury all applications and select all recipients on the following criteria:
- completeness of the plan presented in the application by the member organization
- the merit of the work and the writers
- the goals of the project
- the submitted project budget includes payment for the writers
- the potential impact of the project on the work
The financial need of the organization or the writers will not be taken into consideration.
The Committee may select up to 4 recipients per granting period and assign a grant amount between $500 and the requested amount on the application, at their discretion.
The recommendations from the New Works Committee will go to the Executive Committee of the Board for a final vote of approval.
Any NAMT member who has any questions regarding the Writers Residency Grants, please contact Branden Huldeen, New Works Director, at 212-714-6668 x14 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE ROUND TWO APPLICATION IS AVAILABLE HERE.