Writers Residency Grants
The Writers Residency Grants provide $500-$2,000 supplemental funds to not-for-profit NAMT members to work with writers on developing a new musical. The musical can be at any stage of development up to and including a staged reading, and the project can happen either at the member theatre or off-site as long as the writers and the theatre are both actively involved in the development process. All grants are for $500-$2,000. The Writers Residency Grants are part of the National Fund for New Musicals, whose goals can be found here.
The grants are a great way to bring a writer to your theatre to work or to meet with the writers at another venue to develop a new musical. The money can be used to either fill a gap in funding or to expand the current residency plans. There does not need to be a long-term commitment to the project, just a passion for helping the writers develop their show. All projects are expected to have a culminating activity, which can be anything from a new draft of the script to a minimally staged reading for the public.
- only not-for-profit NAMT member theatre organizations in the U.S. may apply for the grant
- the member must be in good standing
- a member cannot receive the grant in consecutive granting rounds
- the project can be at any stage of development up to and including a staged reading
- the writers may be in residence at the theatre or off-site (e.g. in New York City working with a rep from the member theatre)
- the writers need to be actively working on the musical and that work should be reflected in the culminating project
- the writers must be paid a stipend, honorarium, royalty and/or per diem, on top of necessary housing and travel
- there must be a culminating activity be it a table read-through, a demo, a staged reading (with scripts in hand and minimal staging) or a new draft, but it can not be a workshop or production
- the culminating project may charge an admission fee or accept a suggested donation at the door
- preference will be given to pieces with original music but pieces utilizing pre-existing music will be considered
- the project budget must be at least twice the amount requested
There are two granting periods throughout the fiscal year. Applications can request funds for development that starts or ends outside of the assigned project periods but the bulk of the work and all expenses should still lie within the 6-month project period.
Application Due: June 1, 2018
Project Period: July 1, 2018-December 31, 2018
Application Due: November 30, 2018
Project Period: January 1, 2019-June 30, 2019
The application project periods for the next round of Writers Residency grants will be announced shortly.
The application will be available 1 month prior to each Application Due Date. Have the following information available when filling out the Application:
- Organization Info
- Show Title and Description
- Project Description, Timeline & Goals
- Writer Statement
- Key Artist Bios
- Project Budget
No works samples or CD will be needed. The application is a short form that applicants will fill out online. The button to the application will appear at the bottom of this page for any NAMT member logged in to the site.
NAMT’s New Works Committee will jury all applications and select all recipients on the following criteria:
- completeness of the plan presented in the application by the member organization
- the merit of the work and the writers
- the goals of the project
- the submitted project budget includes payment for the writers
- the potential impact of the project on the work
The financial need of the organization or the writers will not be taken into consideration. For selected recipients, the Committee may assign a grant amount between $500 and the requested amount on the application, at their discretion.
The recommendations from the New Works Committee will go to the Executive Committee of the Board for a final vote of approval.
Any NAMT member who has any questions regarding the Writers Residency Grants, please contact Ciera Iveson, New Works Director, at 212-714-6668 x14 or email@example.com.